Getting Into Infosec
Syntax - Arrested Teenager to Motorcycle Racer To Pentester
Syntax had an interesting ride into infosec filled with pitstops, detours, and countersteering along the way. He got started at an early age influenced by his father and was wrongfully arrested for reporting a vulnerability in his High School. Hear his exciting journey into infosec, filled with life lessons.
- Was arrested in High School for disclosing a vulnerability in the school IT system
- Syntax is an internal pentester for a large organization
- Went to college for Computer Science, but dropped out
- Inspired by the Movie Hackers
- First computer had a 1MB hard drive (Yes, not a typo!)
- Still went to Defcon even when he was not in IT or working in security
- Was a professional motorcycle racer
- Kept all his rejection letters as a way of motivation to keep going
- Had some business and entrepreneurial experience in the past, which helped him get back into the field
- Got back into security through… IT!
- "A lot of our time is spent arguing with the other departments and justifying our findings." [2:58]
- "Is this cross-site scripting really a problem."
- "I get stuck a lot… it's kind of the nature of the beast." [5:17]
- "I'm not going to work in tech again." [12:21]
- "You're a motorcycle mechanic… why should we hire you?"[19:07]
- "It's my hacker family. These are my people. Everyone in security, they make sense to me, cause they're all kinda like me." [19:41]
- "I kept getting this projects coming my way and I constantly said YES." [22:07]
- "Have you done this before… no, but I'll learn!" [25:06]"
- "No, this is website scraping… because I had that mindset… I was seeing it different than other analysts." [26:00]
Getting Into Infosec:
Breaking IN: A Practical Guide to Starting a Career in Information Security: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N15GTPC/
T-Shirts, Mugs, and more: https://gettingintoinfosec.com/shop/
Sign up for sneak peaks, updates, and commentary: https://pages.gettingintoinfosec.com/subscribe